Hassle Free Holidays
As we head into holiday season, the temperature drops and we start to spend more time indoors. We decorate with lights, cook big meals, burn fall scented candles and eventually turn on the heater when it gets cold enough. These things increase our holiday spirit – but they also increase the chance of a home fire.
We’ve got some winter wisdom for you to stay safe from fire:
Heed the Heaters:
- If using portable heaters, make sure they are in good working order with no frayed cords.
- Place them at least 3 feet away from anything combustible, such as paper, clothing or blankets.
- Don’t leave them on when you leave home alone or while you sleep – heaters should always be monitored.
Contain the Candles:
- Keep candles in sturdy containers that cannot be easily knocked over and make sure the flame isn’t close to something that could ignite.
- Never leave a candle unattended and make sure to extinguish them before leaving the room.
- Consider using battery operated candles to reduce your risk even further.
Tend the Tree:
- If you put up a live Christmas tree, make sure you keep it well watered at all times.
- Always unplug lights when not in use, or have them set up on a timer to automatically turn off.
- Keep trees away from heat vents and other heat sources.
- Make sure your tree stand can hold your tree securely so that it doesn’t fall.
Preventative measures such as having your chimney inspected and making sure your smoke detectors are working are also important winter prep-steps.
If you experience a fire at your home this winter call SERVPRO of Park Cities anytime at 214-522-3000.