Call the Cleanup Team that is FASTER TO ANY SIZE DISASTER
There's no such thing as a small disaster - especially when the water you don't see contains bacteria or can cause mold, rot, and other unseen damage. Water damage can affect the value of your property. Before you get out the mop bucket and try to clean it yourself, consider how the damage can affect your property.
SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals know how disruptive water damage can be for you business. SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals are trained and equipped to manage the drying process. By utilizing the proper equipment and moisture measuring devices, your building will be quickly and thoroughly dried to industry standards, which will help prevent secondary water damages. With rapid response time and full line of water cleanup and restoration services, SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals can help you regain control quickly, by helping to ensure your facility and its contents are properly dried, deodorized, and protected.
Before you risk further damaging the value of your facility by attempting to clean the mess yourself, call SERVPRO of Park Cities, your local water damage cleanup and restoration professionals, at 214-522-3000.
Be Prepared: Tsunamis
Did you know tsunamis can hit any U.S. Coast? While they are more likely to hit states on the Pacific coastline or in the Caribbean, it is good to know what to do if a tsunami does strike where you live, or even where you may vacation.
Ready.gov says "tsunamis, also known as seismic sea waves (mistakenly called "tidal waves"), are a series of enormous waves created by an underwater disturbance such as an earthquake, landslide, volcanic eruption, or meteorite." Areas within a mile of the coast and less than 25 feet above sea level have a greater risk of being hit.
As with any emergency, be sure you have a plan. know the evacuation plan and move inland or to higher ground and avoid the beach. "The first wave may not be the last or the largest," according to the National Weather Service.
After a tsunami, do not return to the affected area until officials deem it safe. While drowning is the most common hazard, there are many aftereffects such as flooding and contaminated drinking water.
For more information on preparing for a tsunami, visit ready.gov/tsunamis.
The Science of Drying
Did you know there is actually a science behind the process of drying? Having the knowledge of psychrometrics is essential to restoring a water-damaged structure to its preloss condition. While your initial reaction may be to grab a few towels to mop up the mess and place a few fans or two around the damaged area, you local SERVPRO, SERVPRO of Park Cities, professionals are trained in the science of drying and follow strict industry-approved standards to help lower the chances of any secondary damages. If your business suffers a water damage, SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals will:
- Inspect the building to detect every component that is wet to help prevent secondary damage from happening.
- Measure how much moisture is in wet material and monitor whether the materials are drying properly.
- Speed up Mother Nature by using professional drying equipment.
What exactly does it mean to help "speed up Mother Nature?" A wet building can often dry naturally because the environment always seeks equilibrium. When materials are wet, moisture will naturally move to drier air at the surface of the material-but only if the air is, indeed, drier.
The only problem is, nature often takes too long and secondary damages may occur while the building is drying out.
SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals have the tools and equipment to help Mother Nature along, including equipment to hep dry hardwood floors, tough-to-reach spaces inside walls, and much more. SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals also use state-of-the-art monitoring equipment and a proven scientific process to help speed the drying of your home or business.
It's not only the equipment, but the technology too. SERVPRO has developed DryBook, a proprietary tool that provides real-time documentation and updates on the drying process and helps ensure industry drying requirements are met. With DryBook Mobile, you have the ability to know exactly where your property is in the drying process.
The bottom line? Your local SERVPRO, SERVPRO of Park Cities, Professionals have the training and equipment to help make water damage "Like it never even happened."
Carbon Monoxide: A Silent Killer
You can't see or smell carbon monoxide, but at high levels, it can kill a person in minutes. Often called the silent killer, carbon monoxide, or CO, is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas, created when fuels, like gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas and propane burn incompletely.
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), each year more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning. It is estimated another 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to CO poisoning. All people and animals are at risk for CO poisoning, with some groups - including unborn babies, infants, and people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems - being more susceptible to the effects of carbon monoxide.
An excess of CO, leading to CO poisoning, can result from faulty furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers, or idling cars left running in garages.
Taking some basic, precautionary steps can help eliminate the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Protect yourself by reviewing the following tips, provided by the United States Fire Administration.
- Have fuel-burning appliances, like oil and gas furnaces, gas or kerosene heaters, fire places and wood stoves inspected by a trained professional every year.
- open the damper for proper ventilation before using a fireplace. Never use your oven or stovetop to heat your home.
- Make sure all fuel-burning vented equipment is vented to the outside to avoid CO poisoning. Keep the venting for exhaust clear and unblocked.
- If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Never run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even it garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not blocked with snow, ice , or other materials.
- Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris.
- Only use barbecue grills outside, away from all doors, windows, vents, and other building openings. Some grills can produce CO gas. Never use grills inside the home or the garage, even if the doors are open.
- Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows, vents and other building openings to prevent exhaust fumes from entering the home.
Benefits of Mitigation
SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals can save you from higher property damage costs!
1-4-8 Service Response Guidelines
SERVPRO’s 1-4-8 Service Response Guidelines help ensure timely communication and response. Quick and accurate response can minimize loss expenses from secondary damages.
- 1. Within one hour from notice of loss, SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals will contact you to arrange for service.
- 4. Within four hours of loss notification, SERVPRO of Park Cities Professional will be on-site to start mitigation services (if necessary).
- 8. Within 8 business hours, a verbal briefing of the scope of work will be communicated to the property manager or point of contact by a SERVPRO of Park Cities Professional.
Restore Versus Replace - SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals strive to restore items to preloss condition. This helps lower mitigation and restoration costs while allowing treasured belongings to be salvaged when possible.
Pretesting - Through pretesting, SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals can determine the extent of the damage, treating only the affected area to reduce job costs, restoration expenses and business disruption.
Inventory Analysis - The Inventory Analysis helps clients and tenants keep records of items and belongings, making the claims process easier should a disaster occur.
Contents Claim Inventory Service - CCIS provides itemized room-by-room loss inventory, allowing clients, tenants, insurance agents and adjusters to document claim items and capture inventory items immediately.
Electronic File Documentation Complete with Loss Reports - Online access is available to all files, information and proof of results, allowing the information to be easily transferrable to various parties involved.
24/7 Call Center - Prompt work order handling and dispatch don’t have to wait for daylight. Utilizing SERVPRO’s 24/7 Call Center, emergency services can begin as soon as possible, helping minimize additional loss, downtime and expense.
Large Loss Capabilities – Catastrophic Loss Response Team - With hundreds of trained crews manned with thousands of pieces of commercial equipment and service vehicles, SERVPRO’s Large Loss Response Teams can initiate response to any sized loss in any part of the country within hours.
Professional Reassurance and Consistency - As leaders in cleanup and restoration, SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals strive to maintain a professional appearance in uniform, equipment, vehicles and cleaning methods to help convey “Green
National Accounts Guidelines (for National Accounts Insurance Clients) - To assure to our clients they will receive consistent, professional service and performance across the country, the National Accounts Guidelines require completed job files, detailed communication and much more from SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals.
More than 1,700 Franchises located in North America - SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals are nearby, ready to respond quickly. The faster restoration begins, the quicker our customers can return to business.
Mold Mitigation Services
SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals can help provide a solution to your property’s mold damage needs.
Buildings with excessive moisture can be breeding grounds for mold growth. If your facility has experienced an ongoing moisture problem due to water intrusion, long-standing leaks, roof damage or from poor humidity control, it is important to be alert to the following factors:
- The presence of visible mold.
- Strong musty odors which may indicate mold is present.
- Any evidence of past moisture problem that might indicate previous mold growth.
- Excessive humidity.
Should mold be found within the facility, mold removal and remediation can help eliminate a potentially dangerous situation. SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals will arrive on-site alert for any visible signs of mold. Following industry standards for mold remediation, they will work to remove visible mold and reduce the potential for future mold growth.
Are your Ducts in Order?
Did you know, your ventilation system is often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality? Inspecting the ductwork in your facility or home should be a high priority. In most cases, the HVAC system has been operating for some time without much attention. Dirty ducts can circulate odors, contaminants such as mold, and irritating dust throughout your building or home.
A routine part of SERVPRO of Park Cities Professional’s service is inspecting the heating, ventilation and air conditioning unit (HVAC). Keeping the HVAC and ductwork clean can potentially extend the life span of the equipment by allowing it to operate at peak condition, which may help save you money. Duct cleaning may not always be necessary. SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals will inspect your HVAC system and ductwork and make recommendations about the best way to address any indoor air quality concerns. This inspection can help save you money and provide peace of mind on the health of your HVAC system and ductwork.
In some circumstances, such as after fire, smoke or suspected mold growth, duct cleaning becomes an essential part of the cleanup process. In these cases, SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals can often restore the HVAC system and ductwork to pre-damage condition.
If you have a fuel burning furnace, stove or fireplace, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends they be inspected for proper functioning, and be serviced before each heating season to protect against carbon monoxide poisoning.
The SERVPRO Duct Cleaning System is proven and cost efficient. Unlike the majority of duct cleaning services, SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals uses a portable ventilation and air duct cleaning system to examine ductwork and make a clean sweep, removing years of dust and grime.
- The process begins by using patented equipment including a roto-scraper, which automatically adapts to the duct’s shape and diameter while traveling through the duct, removing debris and filth before vacuuming begins.
- Next, a powerful push-pull air delivery and collection system transfers the debris from the ducting to a 16-gallon container.
- Air if filtered through a HEPA filtration system, removing 99.97% of the particles in the airstream. HEPA filters capture debris and keep the indoor environment clean.
- As an option process, a sealant or coating product may be sprayed to address odor or microbial concerns.
- Filters will either be cleaned or replaced to remove odor and dirt.
For more information on duct cleaning, or schedule an appointment, contact us, SERVPRO of Park Cities, at 214-522-3000.
Mold, Biohazard, Crime Scene, and Vandalism Cleanup
Recognized as a leading fire and water cleanup and restoration provider by hundreds of insurance companies, SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals also offer fast, reliable mold, biohazard, and crime scene cleanup and restoration services to residential and commercial property owners.
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences for building occupants, employees, customers, and owners. A failure to property handle and safely remove such hazardous substances can contribute to unhealthy and even dangerous environments.
SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals are trained to safely and effectively remove biohazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA and state and local health regulations.
Equipped with the necessary safely equipment and cleaning products, SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals help turn unsafe environments into clean, safe homes and offices.
SERVPRO of Park Cities can help with the following issues:
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Removal and disposal of bodily fluids, tissue, and other potentially pathogenic substances resulting from accident, trauma, crime or death. Technicians thoroughly clean, disinfect, and deodorize the structure.
- Methamphetamine Labs
- Many of the chemicals used in the production of illegal drugs, such a methamphetamine, are volatile and can leave harmful residue throughout a structure. SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals follow federal and state guidelines to properly clean all surfaces.
- Crime Scene Residues
- From fingerprint powder and evidence-gathering chemicals to tear gas and pepper spray residue, our technicians can clean and restore your property and contents.
- Arson and Vandalism
- We are recognized as leaders at helping property owners recover quickly from fire and water damage. We also provide general cleaning and deodorization services for situations resulting from vandalism including graffiti, egg, spoiled foods, and human or animal waste.
- Sewage Backups
- Black Water Intrusions
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
State and local regulations vary. Contact us, SERVPRO of Park Cities, at 214-522-3000, today for 24-hour emergency services.
Understanding the Behavior of Smoke
The damage to your property following a fire can often be complicated due to the unique behavior of smoke. There are two different types of smoke – wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire, SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals are thoroughly trained in fire cleanup and restoration and know the different types of smoke and their behavior patterns. Knowing this information is vital to proper restoration. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals will survey the loss to determine the extent of impact from fire, smoke, heat, and moisture on the building materials and contents. The soot will then be tested to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. Pretesting determines the proper cleaning method and allows SERVPRO of Park Cities to focus on saving your precious items.
SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals know smoke can penetrate various cavities within the structure, causing hidden damage and odor. Their knowledge of building systems helps them investigate how far smoke damage may have spread. The following are additional facts you may not know about smoke.
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The types of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
Wet Smoke (Plastic and Rubber)
Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke (Paper and Wood)
Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue (Produced by evaporation of materials rather than from a fire)
Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Fuel Oil Soot (Furnace Puff Backs)
While “puff backs” can create havoc for homeowners, SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals can, in most cases, restore the contents and structure quickly.
Other Types (Tear gas, fingerprint powder and fire extinguisher residue)
Special loss situations require special care.
SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals are trained to handle even the toughest losses. If your home or business suffers fire or smoke damage, contact us, at 214-522-3000, to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Celebrate Safely with a Recipe for Safety
Each holiday season, families gather to celebrate by preparing delicious feasts, but if you don’t practice safe cooking habits, your holiday could become hazardous very quickly. According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries. The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. It’s important to be alert to prevent cooking fires.
- Be alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don’t use the stove or stovetop.
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food.
- If you are simmering, baking or roasting food, check it regularly, remain in the kitchen while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
- Keep anything that can catch fire – oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains – away from the stovetop.
If you have a cooking fire, consider the following safety protocols to help keep you and your family safe.
- Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
- Call 911 or the local emergency number after you leave.
- For an oven fire turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
- If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
- Keep a lid nearby when you are cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave a pan covered until it is completely cooled.
SERVPRO of Park Cities Professionals wish you a safe a happy holiday season.