When to Call the Mold Remediation Experts
When mold growth occurs in a home there are certain signs that will alert you to its presence. If you notice any of these signs it is important to call the mold remediation experts at SERVPRO immediately. Time is of the essence when it comes to your home and mold, so the sooner the remediation process can begin the better. Here are some mold symptoms to look out for in your home:
1) A bad smell - odor is usually the first sign you may have a problem with mold growth somewhere in your home. While it can be hard to pin down exactly what the smell is, if there are any out of place smells in your home that will not go away mold is a possible cause.
2) A water leak - if you have recently experienced a water damage, no matter how small, your home is now at risk for mold. Mold requires certain conditions in order to flourish, and moisture is one of the key components to growth. If you notice the humidity is high in your home, if you notice paint peeling, or any discoloration on the wall or ceiling, you may have a leak somewhere. A leak is always a potential source for mold, so it is important to stop any leaks as soon as you notice them.
3) Discoloration - along with signifying a leak, wall and ceiling discoloration can also indicate mold growth. Mold can grow on most organic materials, so even discoloration on the grout between your tiles can serve as an alarm for mold.
If you suspect a water damage or mold in your home please call us anytime at 214-522-3000.
Restoration Process For A Toilet Backup
Nobody wants to have to deal with a water damage in their home or business, but this is especially true when that water damage is a result of a toilet backing up. When things in the bathroom go awry it can be overwhelming to figure out what your first step should be, but have no fear, SERVPRO is here to help. The following steps describe both what you should do in this situation, and what the restoration process looks like.
- When a toilet starts to overflow, the best and first thing you can do to protect your home is to turn the water off.
- Try to avoid the contaminated wet area as much as possible to prevent sewage from being tracked into any other rooms.
- Call your insurance agent and SERVPRO to begin your restoration process as much as possible.
- Highly trained SERVPRO professionals will tear out anything that may have been contaminated by the toilet water, including flooring, drywall, and ceilings.
- Once all infected materials have been removed, our professional’s will disinfect the area. The disinfectant chosen depends on the job and the equipment needed to clean the space.
- Finally, our crew will put in dehumidifiers and fans to remove any excess water that remains.
If you experience a water damage at your home, especially those that are created by a toilet or sewage backup call SERVPRO of Park Cities anytime at 214-522-3000.
Winter Fire Safety
Many people may not realize, but the risk for house fires increases dramatically during the winter months. As we spend more time indoors, particularly during the holidays, our activities put us at a higher risk. These activities include everything from decorating with lights, cooking, burning candles, and even heating our homes. Follow these winter activity tips to create a safer environment in your house this season:
- Place any heating device at least 3 feet away from anything combustible (paper, clothing, etc.)
- Don’t leave heaters on when you are home alone or while you sleep. They should never be unmonitored.
- Check cords for frays or breaks, and always turn off the heater if the cord or outlet begin to feel hot.
- Have chimneys inspected by a professional before use each year.
- Always make sure your smoke detectors are installed and working, but especially when you are going to be burning a fire.
- Keep any candles in sturdy containers that cannot be easily knocked over, and be sure to extinguish them before leaving the room.
- Be careful when using candles in decorations, make sure the flame isn’t too close to something that could ignite.
- Consider using battery operated candles to reduce your risk even further.
- Always unplug lights, or have them set up on a timer to automatically turn off.
- Keep trees away from heat vents and other heat sources.
- Make sure your tree stand can hold your tree securely, and that it can also hold about 3 days’ worth of water.
If you experience a fire at your home this winter call SERVPRO of Park Cities anytime at 214-522-3000.
SERVPRO Services and Commercial Properties
SERVPRO is well known for the excellence service we provide across the country when disaster strikes. From floods to fires, hail storms and hurricanes, and everything in between, SERVPRO is always there and ready at a moments notice to spring into action and help anyone return their home or business back to normal. However, there are many other times, outside of disastrous situations, where SERVPRO of Park Cities can be of service to your commercial property.
A clean work environment is vital to success in any business, and that’s where we come in. Along with our restoration services we also provide many beneficial deep cleaning services that can prolong the life of many aspects within a commercial property. Regular cleanings of both your carpets/floors and air duct systems can save you time and money. Especially when it comes to your HVAC system. We also provide general deep cleaning services, are specially trained in removing everything from difficult stains and bad smells to graffiti, and are licensed in biohazard cleanups.
For more information on our services please call us anytime at 214-522-3000.
Is Your Roof Storm Ready?
When it comes to our homes, and even commercial properties, our roofs are the first line of defense against storms. While spring is when severe storms are most likely to occur in North Texas, the long and cold rainy days we have during the winter often result in water damages when they penetrate through a roof that was not repaired after a heavy storm season earlier in the year.
In order to ensure your roof is ready for anything the weather may bring you should check for damage regularly. Missing shingles, signs of small leaks, or mold damage are some of the things you yourself can check for regularly, especially following a hard storm or consecutive bad weather days. If you suspect there may be any type of problem with your roof, you should call in roofing professionals that can give you a complete assessment. When the weather gets bad the last thing you want to worry about is whether or not your roof can hold up against a storm, so try to do regular inspections throughout the year and at least one professional assessment per year in order to protect your home.
If you have a water damage due to a roof leak at your home or business, call SERVPRO of Park Cities anytime at 214-522-3000. Our team can be onsite quickly to begin the restoration process as soon as possible.
Quick Mold Facts
Mold spores are all around us always, but when presented with the right conditions mold can quickly turn into a disaster within your own home. That is why it pays to know as much about mold growth as possible. That way, if mold ever becomes an issue within your home you will recognize it quickly, and hopefully be able to put a stop to it before it causes extensive damage.
- There are over 10,000 species of mold.
- Only about 5 species are commonly found in homes.
- Mold’s purpose in our environment is to decompose organic matter, which is why mold loves growing in our homes (drywall, wood, fabric, insulation materials, etc.).
- Mold growth can signal an unknown water damage.
- Homeowner’s insurance may not cover mold damage, be sure to check in with your agent about what your policy covers before you have a mold problem.
- Mold restoration damage in homes around the United States costs approximately 73 billion dollars a year.
- Mold remediation services that we provide here at SERVPRO of Park Cities are the only way to guarantee mold growth has been completely removed from your home.
If you suspect mold in your home call SERVPRO of Park Cities now at 214-522-3000.
Act Fast for Water Damages
North Texas is expected to have an extremely wet and cold fall, and the last few days have been proving that prediction to be true. When an increase in the amount of rainfall is expected you can assume that there will also be a rise in water damages, especially when you add in possible low temperatures. Water heaters break, pipes burst, and rain causes some very unwanted flooding. If you experience a water damage in your home of business know that time is of the essence when it comes to the restoration process. Within just 24 hours mold can begin to grow, so ridding an area of moisture as soon as possible is vital in preventing further damage to your property.
- After noticing a water damage turn off the source to the water (if applicable).
- Call your insurance to submit a claim.
- Call SERVPRO of Park Cities at 214-522-3000.
Acting sooner rather than later can save you time and money, so call SERVPRO of Park Cities anytime for all of your restoration needs.
Commercial Air Duct Cleaning Service
Cleaning air ducts in a commercial building may seem like an unimportant item to add to a long list of “building needs”; however, it is not something to ignore, even if your ducts do not seem to be experiencing any issues. If you own a commercial property in the Park Cities area, consider using SERVPRO of Park Cities when it comes time to clean the air ducts in your building. There are many benefits to having air ducts routinely cleaned, here are just a few:
- Decrease in dust reentering the system, which will cut down in cleaning and remove potential allergens from the environment.
- Reduce the risk of mold in your ducts, which will help lower the amount of mold spores spreading throughout your property.
- Remove any materials from previous pest infestations, and decrease the likelihood of any future infestations.
- Longer HVAC lifespan and greater HVAC efficiency.
- Better air quality for building occupants.
For more information regarding a duct cleaning service for your commercial property call SERVPRO of Park Cities at 214-522-3000.
Mold After a Hurricane
Many SERVPRO crews flocked to North Carolina following Hurricane Florence to assist with the cleanup, including our own SERVPRO of Park Cities professionals. Getting back to “normal” is a long process, especially for those who had their homes destroyed by flood waters. Unfortunately, this lengthy cleanup is often exacerbated by mold.
Mold requires a warm, moist environment to grow. The flood waters produced by hurricanes along with the high temperatures of hurricane season (June-November) provide the perfect climate for mold. Hurricane Florence produced an unprecedented amount of rainfall – damaging hundreds of thousands of homes. On top of dealing with water damage these home owners may also have to be concerned about hazardous mold growth.
If you ever experience a flood in your home, there are some steps you can take to protect both yourself and your home from mold.
- Protect your mouth and nose with a N-95 respirator.
- Wear gloves to tear out any drywall.
- Use eye protection.
- Open as many doors and windows as possible to encourage air flow before SERVPRO professionals can get to the scene.
- Do not paint or caulk over any visible mold, it only hides the issue from view.
- Throw away any items that cannot be saved.
The key to preventing mold from growing in your home is removing the moisture. SERVPRO crews will work as fast as possible to begin the drying process, and are prepared to handle any mold that may arise. If you experience a water damage in your house call SERVPRO of Park Cities anytime at 214-522-3000.
Storm Damage Cleanup
While we typically consider storm season to be during the spring here in Texas, technically it is storm season all year round. Our high temperatures and tendency for drastic temperature changes overnight create the perfect environment for violent storms. Cleaning up after one of these storms can be frustrating and time consuming if you aren't sure where or how to start. SERVPRO is here to help whenever needed, but we have also compiled a list of tips that are useful for any home or business owner when it comes to storm cleanup:
- Consider safety hazards.
Examine outside doors and windows.
- Watch out for loose debris. Know how to shut off the electricity in affected areas. Educate your employees and family on how to do this safely and correctly.
Disinfect contaminated surfaces.
- Outside doors and windows are exposed to any and every storm. Ensure all door handles and knobs as well as window locks are still working properly. This can help prevent more water from entering and deter possible break ins.
Restore plumbing and water line.
- Remove all contaminated material when cleaning after a storm, particularly after a flood. Cleaning the contaminated areas helps to prevent the spread from infected areas to other surfaces.
- After storm damage, specifically flooding, water lines can be clogged or cause them to back flow. By ensuring they are clear, you can limit the chance of closures and odor issues.
For any and all of your cleanup needs after a water, mold, or fire damage call SERVPRO of Park Cities at 214-522-3000.