A How To On Recovering From Storm Damage
Imagine your house has been attacked by a huge storm. The strong winds broke windows, blew doors open, caused some roof destruction. The rain can now creep inside your home, the place where your family is, and can cause more damage. No one wants to imagine anything happening to their homes, especially their family, but in case of an emergency, we have to. We have to be prepared for whatever comes.
Here are some tips recommended by Cintas to minimize the results of storm damage on your home or business.
- Consider safety hazards.
- Watch out for loose debris. Know how to shut off the electricity in affected areas. Educate your employees and family on how to do this safely and correctly.
- Examine outside doors and windows.
- Outside doors and windows have easy access to the storm. Ensure the door handles and knobs as well as window locks are still working properly. This can help prevent more water entering and possible break ins.
- Disinfect contaminated surfaces.
- Remove all contaminated material when cleaning after a storm. Cleaning the contaminated areas will help not spread the infected areas to other surfaces.
- Restore plumbing and water line.
- After storm damage, specifically flooding, water lines can be clogged or cause them to backflow. By ensuring they are clear, it can limit the chance of closures and odor issues.
For some of these tips, oneself doesn’t have the experience to do all the work. You can contact your insurance agent and they can find contractors and cleanup crews to do the job. If by any chance you are not happy with who they have chosen, give us a call, SERVPRO of Park Cities at 214-522-3000 and we will gladly do all the dirty work for you.
Hope these helped. These are just a few tips on how to recover from storm damage.